2005-01-25

Proving the Jayhawk "Overrated" Argument

If there was any doubt about whether the press just loves those Jayhawks, check out the latest article about Tournament Seeding here I've never actually understood the infatuation.....is it because of James Naismith, the supposed "inventor" of Basketball? Yes, Kansas has tradition, but does that mean they get a free pass every year? I'm reminded of Jacque Vaughn who was a media darling in his day at Kansas.....here is, what is quite possibly, the most overrated point guard in the history of College Basketball. If he made a one-handed bounce pass, Dickie V would go ape "Oh Baby, did you see that pass!? He's a PTP'er, BABY!" How, when you got drubbed by an unranked team by 21 points, drop to #6 from #2, can someone say they still can't lose their #1 Tournament Seed? That makes no sense to me. I believe there is a "vast left-wing conspiracy" to graduate students from Kansas who infiltrate the Sports Media Job Market to coerce Basketball Aficionados and fans into blindly following the Jayhawks.....well, not me, Mr. Dickie V......I'm not falling for it! Power to the people! Down with animal mascots that don't really exist! I refuse to buy into the hype! Mark my words.....the Jayhawks will lose in either the 1st or 2nd Rd. of the NCAA Tournament this year.....and don't be surprised when they lose a couple of Conference games either!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, brother. Talk about tradition - overrating KU is definitely a media tradition. (Of course the fact that I went to Missouri may have some impact on my opinion...). Nonetheless, you are spot on with your assessment of Vaughn. When he went down in his Jr. (or was it Sr?) year, the guy who took his place, Ryan Robertson, filled the role more than adequately, and probably played better than Vaughn ever did (but again, bias may be kicking in - Ryan and his family went to my church in MO :-) )

wfseube

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home